Confession, I have a serious thing for fried rice. Whenever I go to a Thai restaurant I order pineapple fried rice, at a hibachi restaurant I always ask for extra fried rice. I absolutely love the flavors. Currently, I am really missing pineapple fried rice and Hawaiian pizza. Since I had leftover Dearborn’s Famous Glazed Spiral Sliced Ham, from Easter I thought I would do a little experimenting in the kitchen, and that is how Hawaiian fried rice was born.
This Hawaiian fried rice recipe that I am sharing today has quickly become my new favorite. It features elements of traditional friend rice, but with a lot more flavor. This Hawaiian fried rice is filled with diced Dearborn Brand Dearborn\’s Famous Glazed Spiral Sliced Ham, green peppers, chive and of course pineapple. If I can give you one tip when it comes to making fried rice it is to make sure that the rice is cold, freshly cooked rice will just make this dish a complete mushy mess.
Hawaiian Fried Rice
1 boil-in-bag rice (I used brown rice), cooked and chilled
1/2 cup (or more) diced ham
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 green onions or multiple pieces of chive
1/2 green pepper (or more) seeded and diced
1 large egg
1/4 cup pineapple tidbits
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce (or more depending on your likeness)
1. Heat half the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet.
2. Add the diced ham, green pepper and green onion (reserve some green onion for garnish).
3. Cook and stir for 6 minutes, or until ham is browned and the bell pepper is crisp-tender.
4. Stir in the garlic and cook another minute.
5. Pour the mixture into a bowl and set aside.
6. Heat the remaining vegetable oil in the same skillet until hot.
7. Add the cold rice.
8. Cook and stir the rice until it is thoroughly heated about 7 minutes. Be sure to break up the clumps.
9. Push the rice to one side of the skillet.
10. Crack the egg on the other side of the skillet.
11. Stir the egg until it becomes lightly scrambled.
12. Stir the egg mixture into the rice.
13. Add the ham mixture to the rice.
14. Add the pineapple.
15. Pour the soy sauce mixture into the rice and stir until combined and hot.
16. Serve and top with green onion.