It\’s blueberry season here in Michigan and after picking a few pounds of them, and deciding that I couldn\’t possibly eat them all I decided to step into the kitchen and do some baking. When I lived in Pittsburgh, my neighbor Barb taught me that the easiest thing to make when you find out guests are coming over is a pie. She taught me how to make the perfect peanut butter, coconut cream, and chocolate pie. One thing she didn\’t teach me was how to make a fruit pie, and she definitely did not teach me how to make a healthier pie. With all these blueberries, I figured I had nothing to lose and headed to the kitchen to whip up a pie – a Gluten-Free Vegan Blueberry Chia Seed Pie that is. I changed the crust recipe that Barb taught me and made it vegan and gluten-free friendly, and the result was everything I could have hoped for and will definitely be using it from now on. Now don\’t waste any more time, go make this time. Yum!
Vegan Blueberry Chia Seed Pie
Gluten-Free & Vegan
2 cups almond flour
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flax meal mixed with 3 Tbsp water)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
5 cups fresh blueberries
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup water
1.5 Tbsp lemon juice
1.5 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp chia seeds
1 Tbsp arrowroot
1/4 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a food processor combine, flour, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.
3. Add coconut oil and flax egg – pulse until a dough forms.
4. Press dough into a pie dish and bake for 9 minutes.
5. In a saucepan combine, blueberries, syrup, water, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt.
6. Bring to a boil and then turn down and simmer for 3-5 mins.
7. Once done simmering add chia seeds + arrowroot and mix well.
8. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
9. Pour the blueberry mixture into cooked pie crust.
10. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
* Pie should be kept refrigerated.