A few weeks ago my mum and I made up a batch of my Great Grandma Bea\’s Bread and Butter Pickles. These pickles are canned and take about four months to get to the proper pickle flavor. You can either can these pickles or place them in your refrigerator to enjoy sooner than later.
this makes a single batch
5 cups sliced pickling cucumbers (See step 1)
3 medium sweet onions sliced
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 cup white distilled vinegar
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon clove
1. Wash the cucumbers and cut them into thin slices.
2. Peel and slice the onions thin.
3. Combine the cucumbers, onions, and salt in a large bowl, and add ice. Let stand for 2 hours.
4. After two hours drain.
5. In a pot add vinegar, water, mustard seed, sugar, turmeric, cinnamon, and clove. Taste the mixture to make sure that is the flavor you want your pickles to be. If it is not the flavor you are looking for add more spices to get to your desired pickle flavor.
6. Once you have your desired pickle brine flavor, bring the mixture to a boil.
7. Place cucumbers and onions into canning jars and pour the boiling brine mixture over them.