Don’t let the word “vegan” scare you these chocolate chip cookies are out of this world amazing, and no one will even know they’re vegan. They’re soft and chewy with a light crisp outside, quick and easy to make and have no strange ingredients in them. Your friends won’t even know these cookies are vegan. Also, for those of you who think vegan is healthy, while in some cases yes that is true – in this case that is NOT true.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
dash of salt
1/2 cup apple sauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/4 cup flour*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup vegan chocolate chips (Enjoy Life)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit .
2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine brown sugar, white sugar, coconut oil and salt.
4. Stir until sugars are evenly hydrated.
5. Add apple sauce and vanilla extract.
6. Stir to combine.
7. Add flour and baking soda into the sugar and apple sauce mixture. * I used garbanzo bean flour to make mine gluten free.
8. Stir until a thick dough forms.
9. Fold in the chocolate chips.
10. Scoop the dough onto the cookie sheet.
11. Bake 5-10 minutes or until cookies are lightly brown,. * cooking time depends on the flour you use, and your oven temperature. * you want the cookies to be slightly under baked to get the chewy texture.
12. Remove cookies from the oven.
13. Tap the cookie sheet on the counter to flatten slightly.
14. Allow to cool on a cooling rack
Pro Tip: Freeze some dough balls to have in the freezer, so when you are having a chocolate craving you can make some hot cookies.