There\’s a small Italian bakery near my parents house. While they have absolutely amazing cakes, I am a huge fan of their holiday sprinkle cookies. If you know me you know I am a firm believer that anything is better with sprinkles. At a cookie exchange a few years ago one of the girls shared their Italian Sprinkle Cookie recipe with me, and I have been making it ever since. This year I thought I would share the amazing recipe with all of you.
1.5 cups flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
dash of salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1. Beat butter, and sugar on medium-high for 3 minutes.
2. Add vanilla, almond and egg; beat until smooth.
3. Add flour, baking powder and salt; beat until just combined.
4. Use a cookie scoop drop into balls onto a parchment lined baked sheet.
5. Press each ball into disks.
6. Chill disks for 40 minutes (I placed my cookie sheets outside -it\’s freezing out).
7. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
8. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush tops of cookie disks with the egg white and press into sprinkles.
9. Return cookies to baking sheet.
10. Bake for 10 minutes or slightly brown on the bottom (time varies based on oven) rotating the cookie sheet halfway through.
11. Allow to cool before serving.