Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
½ cup butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup carrots, sliced
4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and cubed
1 cup all-purpose flour
7 cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked wild rice (I used two packages of Rice-A-Roni Wild Rice with Herb packet)
salt, pepper, parsley or other desired spices
2 cups half-and-half
1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Stir in the onion, celery and carrots; sauté for 7 minutes.
3. Add flour and stir well.
4. Over medium heat, gradually pour in the chicken broth, stirring constantly.
5. Bring the soup just to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer for 7 minutes, stirring continuously until thickened slightly.
6. Add chicken, rice and desired seasoning.
7. All the ingredients to heat through.
8. Pour in the half-and half.
9. Let the soup gently summer for about an hour, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. The soup should not boil but should simmer over low heat so that it thickens slowly.