80% of the treats Jack eats are homemade by me; you can find some past favorites (here, here, here and here). With all the pet treat recalls lately I have decided that every Thursday from now until Christmas (except Thanksgiving) I will be sharing homemade dog treat recipes that your pup big or small will absolutely love. Starting with these apple cinnamon cookies.
Apple Cinnamon Canine Cookies
2 1/2 cups flour*
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 medium sized peeled apples pureed*
1/3 cup oil (vegetable or canola)
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon vanilla (I use a lot you can use less such as 1 teaspoon)
1/2 cup cold water * (as needed)
*flour: I used 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1.5 cups crushed oatmeal (made it flour consistency in my blender). You can also use whole wheat flour (I do not because it gives Jack terrible gas).
* apples: I removed the skin from the apples, cut into pieces and pureed them in my blender. You can also cook them on the stove until they become mush.
* Water: My apples produced enough juice I only used a tablespoon of water the first time I did this recipe with honey crisp apples. The second time the apples hardly produced any juice and I used a half a cup of water so just use how much you need for a dough consistency.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
3. Blend flour and cornmeal together in a large mixing bowl.
4. Mix in pureed apple, egg, oil, cinnamon and vanilla.
5. Add water as needed.
6. Flour your workspace and roll dough to desired thickness.
7. Cut treats with cookie cutters. (I used a large apple)
8. Place dog cookies on baking sheet.
9. My cookies were larger and Jack likes softer treats so I baked mine for about 20-25 minutes, depending on thickness. Just cook your until your desired crispness.
10. Once cooled add to Ziplock bags or an airtight container.
Note: I only leave out a few cookies and freeze the rest. They\’ll last for up to six months when frozen and under a week when left out.
** The above recipe is for treats only, and should not replace your dog\’s regular meal plans. Any questions about your pets diet should be directed to your vet.
I honesty don't know how you do it, it's so much work!
You always have the best dog treat recipes! Can't wait to try this out!
I have to make these for my dog Pluto!