Black and White Cookies
If you watch Hart of Dixie you’ll know that Zoe Hart’s favorite cookie in the whole world is the black and white cookie from Zabars in New York City. I have never actually tried the cookie from Zabars, but when I was going through one of my mums cookbooks I found a copycat recipe and had to share it (especially with the Hart of Dixie fans). The cookie is a cake-like lemon cookie and perfect to eat while watching Zoe and Wade’s romance heat up.
How To: Make Cake Flour
1 cup of all-purpose flour minus two tablespoons and two tablespoons of cornstarch added. Be sure to whisk together. Make more as needed 1 cup at a time.
Copycat Zabars Black and White Cookie
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 2/3 cup cake flour, not self-rising (I made my own- see below)
• ½ teaspoon baking powder
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 2 large eggs
• ¾ cup granulated sugar
• ½ cup whole milk
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
• 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I used 1 teaspoon)
• ½ teaspoon pure lemon extract (I used the zest of one lemon)
• 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
• 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, plus more if needed
• 1 ½ ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
1. Sift together flours, baking powder and salt; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until smooth. Add milk and whisk to combine. Whisk in melted butter and extracts (or zest). Add flour mixture and stir to form smooth dough.
3. Cover and chill for one hour (no less and no more)
4. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and drop dough by desired size. Baked until edges are light brown. I used a one-inch cookie scoop and baked for 7 minutes. Time will vary based on size so keep an eye on your first batch.
5. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
6. When cool in a small bowl combine powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons whole milk and corn syrup. Whisk until smooth. Ice half of each cookie and return to rack to drip. Add chocolate to remaining icing, stirring until smooth. Add additional corn syrup to thin to desired consistency if needed. Spread chocolate icing over other half of cookie and allow to dry.