Let me be frank, your friends might think you’re nuts for eating a carrot dog instead of a traditional ballpark frank—but once they try these carrot dogs they may never go back.
4 large carrots, clean
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp roasted sesame seed oil (not raw)
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp ginger powder
1/4 tsp cayenee pepper
1. Fill a pot the width of your carrots halfway with water and bring to a boil.
2. In a large bowl whisk together: water, soy sauce, rice vinegar, apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, garlic powder, onion powder, ginger powder, cayenne and black pepper. Set aside.
3. Add carrots to the boiling water for 6 minutes or until they’re fork tender.
Note: DO NOT OVERCOOK. If they get mushy they are ruined.
4. Make an ice bath: fill a large bowl with ice cubes and cold water.
5. Remove carrots from boiling water and transfer to the ice bath immediately. This stops them from cooking. Allow to cool in the water for 3-5 minutes.
6. Using a fork slide it down the side of the carrot to make some holes.
7. Add cooled carrots to the marinade which you have placed in a plastic bag or container. Shake for move around to coat.
8. Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 24 hours. The longer you marinate the better they will be. I usually marinate them for 48 hours.
9. When you’re ready you can grill the carrots on a barbecue or cook them on the stove in a pan.
10. Serve like a traditional hot dog with your favorite condiments.
*I like mine with ketchup, mustard, onions and sweet relish.
Note: You can also freeze the carrots once they’re done marinating.