Stocks, bonds, mutual funds, real estate, exchange-traded funds oh my! The allure of earning high returns from these investments is sure to get your attention. With big returns comes big risks. Before you set out to invest it’s best that you get all your finances in order and increase your knowledge to make the best investments that you can. Chase Rubin has served the financial industry for more than twenty years, and is currently sharing his knowledge regarding the investment industry so the public is informed. The more you know, the easier it is for you to make the right decisions.
One of my friends is actually a financial planner and sat down with me to make this list of 20 things to keep in mind when it comes to investing.
1. Having. Unless you’re already wealthy saving is important to built your wealth.
2. Invest. The best way to invest is in small business, real estate and stocks.
3. Be real. 9 to 10 percent per year is about the return you’ll see from stocks and real estate.
4. Long term. Invest long term five to ten years to get a greater return.
5. Play it safe. Money you need to use within the next year should be invested in a safer way such as money market.
6. Make sure you have the money before you invest.
7. Go global. Don’t just invest in the US markets, see what is out there globally to invest in.
8. Supply and demand. The price of bonds and stocks are determined by supply and demand.
9. Spend money to make money. Buying and selling investments costs money, make sure you’re at a good place financially before placing your investments.
10. Taxes. Understand your tax bracket.
11. The more you pay on commissions and account management the less money you make in the long run.
12. The more you trade the more likely you are to make mistakes.
13. Educate. Make sure you do your research on an advisor before agreeing to allow them to be in charge of your money.