I’m on of those types of people where when someone says, “hey, let’s go do this” I usually say yes. So when the opportunity arose for me to participate in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day® I immediately said yes – for a couple of reasons:
1. This event is very close to my heart – my grandma had breast cancer and my aunt passed away from breast cancer.
2. I love the idea of spending time with people who are all participating for one specific cause – in this case ending breast cancer forever.
So what’s the scoop?
Susan G. Komen 3-Day® is a 60-mile (yes 60 MILE) walk, that takes place over three days. I will be participating in the Michigan event August 4-6. Each day I will be walking an average of 20 miles and coming back to camp in a PINK tent (serious it doesn’t get cuter than that!). Over the past 14 years and 156 events more than $820 million has been raised which is absolutely AMAZING, and honestly I am so proud to be participating in this event. If you would like to participate with me CLICK HERE. Use discount code \”ERICA10\” for $10 off registration!
1. Find your coaches on Facebook and love them. They’re going to be who encourages you and gives you the help and support that you need to get through the 3-Days.
2. Go to the training walks near you. I will be doing an 18-mile walk with locals this Saturday, and I am so excited to meet fellow walkers.
3. Start off with easier walks and work your way to harder ones. Make sure you include walking on a variety of different terrains, since you never know what you will run into.
4. STAY HYDRATED!! Drink drink drink
5. I was told most people average 3 miles per hour. At that rate you’ll be walking for about 7ish hours. That’s a slower pace that anyone can do if you set your mind to it.
Current training from last week:
I walk and do a lot of cross training. The cross training really helps increase muscle strength and endurance, which will be key for me during this walk. I will be posting periodically on my personal Instagram account erica.terry. You can also stay up to date with me everyday with the workouts I’m doing and my eating on petitefitnessista
AM: Barre + Abs + Arms
PM: Strength workout
AM: strength workout + abs
PM: two hour hike
AM: 30 minute walk + abs
PM: three hours standup paddleboarding
AM: 12 mile bike ride
PM: 20 mile walk (took me about 5 hours)
PM: two hour bike ride
Here are some of my favorites:
Personal Mister: this bad boy will probably be a life saver especially since my event is in the middle of summer and it’s probably going to be ridiculous hot.
Hat: Let’s be real by Sunday I am not going to be looking my best, therefore I will be rocking this hat and a messy braid.
Drawstring backpack: Ideal for carrying items while you’re out walking, I’m planning on putting extra shoes, socks, first-aid kit and water in mine.
Tank Top will be great for keeping cool during the hottest hours of the day
Lounge Pants great for hanging out around camp
Duffle Bag ideal solution for keeping all your essentials in one convenient location.
Softshell Jacket because well it’s adorable!