1 pound chicken or pork
3 cups finely shredded cabbage
1 can (8.5 oz) bamboo shoots, drained and chopped
½ cup chopped mushrooms
4 medium green onions, sliced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
1 pound egg roll skins (16 to 18)
1. Stir-fry pork or chicken in a wok or 10-inch skillet until brown.
2. Remove meat from wok or skillet.
3. Stir-fry cabbage, bamboo shoots, mushrooms and onions.
4. Mix soy sauce, cornstarch, salt and sugar.
5. Pour soy sauce mixture over vegetable mixture.
6. Stir-fry for about 1 minute, and allow to cool.
7. Mix meat with vegetables.
8. Keep egg rolls skins covered with a damp towel to prevent drying.
9. Place ¼ cup of filling mixture in the center of each egg roll skin.
10. Fold one corner of egg roll skin over filling.
11. Overlap the two opposite corners.
12. Moisten fourth corner with water, fold over to make into a roll.
13. Heat oil (1.5 to 1.75 inches) to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
14. Fry three to five egg rolls at a time until golden brown, turning once (about 3 minutes).
15. Drain on paper towels.
Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce
Heat ¼ cup grape or plum jelly and ¼ cup chili sauce in a small saucepan, stirring constantly until jelly is melted.