During certain points of the year there are specific things I bake. In the fall it’s all about apple desserts, at Christmas it’s cookies and candies. While in the spring I can’t get enough fruit bouquets and the essential Valentine’s Day treat in my book is a cream puff. Don’t be fooled they only seem difficult to make; in reality they are simple and sure to impress.
Cream PuffsIngredientsCream Puffs
½ cup butter
1 cup boiling water
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 packages vanilla pudding
3 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
¼ powered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Melt butter in 1 cup boiling water. Add flour and salt all at once; stir vigorously. Cook and stir till mixture forms a ball that doesn’t separate. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until smooth.
2. Drop by heaping tablespoons on a parchment covered cookie sheet.
3. Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown and puffy (about 30 minutes).
4. Remove from oven; allow to cool slightly. Split in half and pull out stringy inside.
5. When cool fill with cream inside.
Custard Filling: Prepare pudding as package label directs, using the 2 packages of pudding and three cups of milk. Pour into a medium bowl over and chill for at least three hours. When chilled in a small bowl combine heavy cream, ¼ cup powdered sugar and vanilla with a mixer on medium speed until stiff. Fold whipped cream mixture into pudding until combined. Chill overnight before filling cream puffs.