Here in Michigan strawberry season has just begun. Yesterday I promptly headed out to Romeo to pick the prettiest and most delicious berries. Strawberry shortcake is without a doubt one of my favorite desserts, and has been since I was little. Now that I am older one of my favorite aspects of shortcake is how easy it is to whip together on a weeknight.
• 4 cups fresh strawberries; sliced
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 1/3 cups Bisquick mix
• 2/3 cups milk
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• 3 tablespoons butter; melted
1. Mix strawberries and ½ cup sugar, set aside. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Stir Bisquick mix, milk, 3 tablespoons sugar and butter together until a soft dough forms. Drop by 6 spoonfuls onto a cooking stone (an ungreased cookie sheet works too).
3. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Split warm shortcakes; fill and top with strawberries and whipped topping.