Growing up in a state with all four seasons I watched my mum buy fresh cut flowers from a local store during the colder months. Grow a gorgeous flower garden in the spring and summer, and have a couple house plants all year long to keep our home cheery. My mum has taught me some wonderful tips and tricks for keeping house plants alive even if you do not have a green thumb. 1. Choose plants that will work with the light in your home. 2. Give your plant a name and actually talk to it. 3. Do not over water – when you stick your finger into the soil it should be almost dry before you water the plant again.
1. Amaryllis are low maintenance, love direct sunlight and use a drench and dry method when it comes to watering.
2. Peacock Plants are grown for their decorative foliage. Need direct light/filtered light and like a humid home.
3. Just Add Ice Orchids are perfect for any home. These flowers like indirect sunlight and only need three ice cubes per week.
4. Ponytail Palms are virtually indestructible, like a sunny spot and only need to be watered once a week.
5. Succulents are low maintenance if in a sunny spot, water once a week and enjoy.
Do you have any house plants? If so what do you have?