As I mentioned before while I was home in Michigan my Mum and I spent numerous hours in the kitchen coming up different confections and trying out new recipes. These homemade heath candies were the most popular confection that we created. Did I mention that they are extremely simple to make too!
Homemade Heath Candies
1 sleeve of saltines; enough to cover a jellyroll pan (I bought store brand ones)
2 sticks of salted butter
1 cup dark brown sugar, well packed
1 pound of Candy Melts; such as Wilton
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line a jellyroll pan with foil, turn up the edges to form a tray and spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray such as Pam.
3. Arrange saltines (salty side up) in the jellyroll pan.
4. In a saucepan bring the butter and brown sugar to a boil, and cook for about 3 minutes; stirring constantly.
5. Carefully pour mixture over the crackers, and spread it out to evenly coat each cracker.
6. Bake for 5 minutes or until bubbly.
7. Remove the crackers and quickly top with your chocolate melts; I used about three melts per cracker. As they begin to soften and melt, use a spatula to spread the chocolate evenly all across the top.
8. Sprinkle nuts on the top or leave plain if you\’d like.
9. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Carefully slide the foil off of the jellyroll pan and onto a cooling rack. Allow to set overnight or transfer to a baking sheet and place in the freezer for a few minutes to speed up cooling.
10. Cut into squares and enjoy!